Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Feasting on Asphalt: New England

Inspired by Alton Brown and his crew; my wife and I are taking a week long road trip through New England. Our journey will start from home in Michigan, through Ohio (because it's just too much of a pain to cross the border anymore), nick the edge of Pennsylvania, and land somewhere in New York for the night. Day two will take us to Salem, Massachusetts for a two-night stay, then off through New Hampshire and into Vermont. We're staying at a bed and breakfast in Woodstock, Vermont for two nights and it looks like that will make a good base for exploring the area. Then off through the Adirondacks and back home. Whew! You wouldn't believe how many maps and travel books we have piled up on the table!

As for feasting, I'm not sure what we'll find. Clam chowder certainly stands out as the regional dish of Boston, but what else is there? I find mentions of local cheese and maple syrup in Vermont, but what else? For a culture so steeped in history there must be something to discover along the way; or does the moniker of New ENGLAND tell all with regards to cuisine? I'll try to stay away from the tourist traps, but so far that's is what the Boston area looks like. I'm hoping to find more adventure in Vermont.

On the Feasting on Asphalt topic, I may try to plan something for next year with more variety, but that's another vacation.

So, no updates next week since we'll be gone and I don't have a laptop for traveling. Wish me luck in finding local food!

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Hmmm. If I were in New England, the first thing I would get myself is some lobster. Any seafood in general would be better there than it is in landlocked Lubbock, TX. Have a great trip and share the details when you get back. I'd love to hear your recommendations.

Anonymous said...

You should come to Rhode Island and have some Rhode Island style clam chowder!! (which has a clear broth.) Also try a cabinet, coffee milk, stuffies, and clam cakes.

Have fun!