Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Feasting on Asphalt 2 Makes a Comeback

After my initial disappointment with the lack of director's comments or much additional material in the FOA2 box set I have returned to view the series in its entirety.  Why the change of heart?  Well, I have been reading the companion book and gazing longingly at the pictures of roadside food joints. Feasting on Asphalt has also become a new influence on my lifestyle this week.

When my daughter was born fifteen weeks ago we quickly discovered that my Saturn VUE was not quite up to the task of hauling her and her gear along for anything other than a trip to Target; and even that was pretty cramped if my wife wanted to sit next to the car seat in the back.  Reluctantly I have began shopping for a larger vehicle.  In what was a boring task of looking at bland hulking SUVs, minivans, and crossovers I, for the first time, could not get excited about car shopping.  Then it all changed....

After a good dose of FOA and planning for future cross country trips to out of the way places I drove by the Ford dealer and something caught my eye.  There was a new Ford Flex parked out front.  The first thought that entered my mind was 'road trip!'  It's sleek lines and old wagon looks spoke to me.  I could picture myself rolling up to a donut shop in Mississippi in that thing.  The next day I was back with my wife and daughter in tow.  We looked it over, took and drive, and are ready to order one.  The nostalgia of the FOA series just opened up a new adventure for me.

No comments: