Sunday, November 16, 2008

Two Years of Blogging

I just noticed the other day, looking through my archives, that my Alton Brown blog has been up for two years!  The past two years of my life flashed by as that thought sunk in and I just sat in front of the glowing screen and reflected for a while.  Wow, two years already.  My life has changed so much since then.

Two years ago I had just returned home after moving to South Carolina to check out the area.  My wife and I had visited Charleston a few times and really liked it.  It was time for us to plant our roots and we had to decide if we were going to stay in Michigan for several more years or raise a family somewhere else.  Ironically, while we were on a trip to look at real estate, my dad got a job offer and we set him up with an apartment.  I decided to take the plunge, found a job, and moved.  I spent two months down there getting a deeper feel for the area and missing my wife and cats dearly!  In the end we decided against the move, mainly due to poor schools and the heat in the summer, and I came home.

Upon returning to Michigan I didn't have a job lined up and spent the dreary months of winter sending out resumes.  That was when i started this blog.  I had been a fan of Alton Brown and his Good Eats show for several years and thought it might be a fun topic to write about.  Something to keep myself busy and to add a little creativity to heighten my mood at the time.

A few months alter and I found a job, finally something using my degree, and settled in.  Another six months later and our first child was on the way!  Nine months later and we had a beautiful little daughter.  And now?  Well, my day job is a side job now.  I still do some work from home on the weekends to keep my foot in the trade and make a few extra bucks.  The rest of my time is devoted to raising my daughter.

It was a shock to look back to two years ago when i was at a low point and now I feel like I'm on top of the world.  What will another two years bring?  More Feasting on Asphalt?  Maybe....

No comments: